Saturday 29 September 2012

Meatpie - Lazy Remix

Lately, I haven't been doing much cooking :-( ....actually, that's not entirely true. I have been cooking. Just not making anything elaborate.

When I cook I like to go all out! Shop for fresh ingredients, stay in the kitchen for hours on end and make sure everything is picture perfect when served.


Sadly, I can't seem to find the time these days. Plus everywhere is still unfamiliar as I haven't explored my new city. I have no idea where to get certain food items, the supermarkets are quite far from my house and they are pricey compared to what I am used to.

Today I went visiting and I decided to go bearing gifts. Lol. Problem was - what to take with me. My fridge was full of cold air and I didn't have much time to spare.

I am a firm believer in buying staples - you know, those important things you must have: in your kitchen, bathroom, wardrobe.....the list is endless.

I decided on this recipe using staples I had in the freezer. All I did was a lazy twist on a traditional snack I loved growing up because I knew it was my friend's favourite (and I would get to eat some as well)

I started with Olive oil, 1 small onion, 1 stock cube, Thyme, Curry, Paprika and Peas.

Put 1 tbsp of any oil of choice into your heated pot/pan.

Once your oil starts to sizzle, add your onion (chopped)

After 3minutes, Add your beef mince and leave to brown. I am using 400g of mince

Add curry, thyme, paprika and your stock cube

Put in a handful of peas. I used just peas because that was all I had. I would usually add carrots and potatoes at this stage

Cook for 5 minutes and turn off your heat. Leave to cool.

Now for the timesaver - I like this brand of pastry because it is well flavoured and easy to work with

30 minutes before use, take your pastry out of the fridge and remove all packaging - carton and outer plastic wrap

Unroll pastry sheet out of blue plastic wrap

Cut up pastry into 6 squares of similar dimensions

Start stuffing each square with your cooled mince

Fold in the edges to make parcels like this. Brush with beaten egg (optional)

Arrange on a tray and bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees/Gas mark 6. Leave on a rack to cool....

The entire process took me just under an hour and the smell of home baking was thrilling - without the hard work.

One thing I must add is - wait till your filling cools down completely. You can prepare it the night before and bake the next day.

I will say this dish was a success and worth trying, especially if you have kids and want to introduce them to cooking. Watch out when it comes to handling the knife! :-)

Womble Love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment