Sunday 20 January 2013

......Horses, Eating-Out and a Budget

Will I eat a horse? I don't know
Can I eat a horse? I don't know
Have I eaten a horse?......I don't know.

That's the situation the recent horse meat in burger scandal left me in even though I can't remember the last time I bought a frozen burger. I remember my last burger though. It was made with beef from the Royal Farms and I covered it in this post . I have no problem with people eating exotic meats or trying new dishes. But introducing large amounts of pork and horse meat into the beef supply chain is ..... interesting?

I have always been aware of what I eat. Growing up, I was never a pork eater and I don't remember eating pork actually. However, a change in environment to the land where pork is in practically everything meaty has meant that I end up eating and buying dishes with pork without realising. And you know me, I won't throw it away. Lol. When I spend, I make it worth every while.

Anyway, the recent 'horse-meat in beef burger' scandal sent my 'spidey sense' tingling. Well maybe not exactly 'spidey senses', more like 'mousey senses' seeing as I've been told I can be nosey. Ok, let's forget I said anything *wide grin

I started thinking a lot about my food and what goes into it and watching episodes of Food Inspectors didn't help as I was left dazed at the state of some restaurant kitchens.......think ants, roaches, rats, the whole lot! I hear over a million people fall ill yearly from eating dodgy meals.

I have never been a fan of eating out or pre-packed meals but I must confess you can find solace in these simple pleasures especially when you want to add variety to your affairs. And variety is the spice of life - so I've been told.

Between this happening to supermaket supply chains and freaking out at the way people handle food, I think I will pass on eating out. I admit, it will be hard to completely rule this out but hey, it's worth a try. For starters, I can rule out eating at certain places. I am not one to call names but I think I have an idea of things to watch out for when choosing a restaurant and what questions to ask.That said, if you ever want to take me out to dinner and pay, I might consider *hehehehe.

Finally, I am returning to my monthly budget of  £30 on grocery shopping. I know some people will say that's unreal but just 3 years ago, that's how much I spent on food. Seeing as that was before the VAT increase and the food price hike, it might be a challenge but we'll see how I survive.....if I survive. Lol. I usually give myself an allowance of + or - £10 so I am not completely stranded and starving.....don't expect any more shopping from me this month. Will be nice to see how this goes. *hehehe


In the meantime, here are some basic tips to consider.


Picture Source: http://www.canfightbac.org/cpcfse/en/safety/logos_images/library/
Later Lovelies,
LW xx



No comments:

Post a Comment